As more and more people are becoming interested in the Keto diet, there are many resources that potential newbies need to know about. In order to make this diet work, you must follow what foods to eat and avoid.
What is a Keto Diet?
The Keto diet is a low-carbohydrate, high-fat diet that has been shown to be effective for weight loss and managing diabetes. In order to follow the Keto diet, you will need to familiarize yourself with the food list. To make this diet work correctly, you must carefully track your food intake. Use a tracking app or spreadsheet to track what you eat and how many calories you consume daily. Make sure to stay within the recommended calorie limits set by the keto diet experts.
What Should You Eat On A Keto Diet?
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the keto diet can vary depending on your individual goals and preferences. However, a well-rounded keto diet should include healthy fats, low-carbohydrate vegetables, quality protein sources, and plenty of water.
Here is a list of some of the best foods to eat on a keto diet:
- Fatty fish such as salmon or mackerel: These types of fish are high in omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for overall health and wellness. They’re also low in net carbs and provide ample amounts of protein.
- Chia seeds: A good source of omega-3 fatty acids, chia seeds can also be used in place of ground nuts or seeds in many recipes. They’re also high in fiber and antioxidants, making them ideal for keeping your gut healthy.
- Low-carbohydrate vegetables such as spinach or kale: Some people find that sticking to low-carbohydrate vegetables helps them maintain weight loss while following the keto diet. These veggies are also rich in antioxidants and vitamins, making them an excellent option for adding more nutrients to your diet.
- Quality animal protein sources such as grass-fed beef or free-range chicken: Lean meats are an important part of any healthy diet, but they can be especially beneficial when following the keto diet. These meats are high in saturated fat and contain cholesterol and other nutrients that benefit overall health.
- Water & Herbal Tea: It’s important to drink plenty of water while following the keto diet, as this beverage is typically low in carbs. Additionally, staying hydrated can help to keep your energy levels stable and prevent any unwanted weight gain. Likewise, make use of herbal teas which are known to have more than one benefit, from helping to be in shape to keeping you hydrated and everything in between — learn herbal teas info in-depth here.
Foods To Avoid on a Keto Diet
When you’re on the keto diet, it’s essential to stay away from foods that are high in carbs and sugar. This includes bread, pasta, rice, grains, and fruit. If you’re looking for some specific foods to avoid on a keto diet, check out this list:
- Processed foods: These are typically high in sugar and carbohydrates, which will cause you to quickly reach your daily calorie limit on the keto diet.
- Sugary drinks: Drinks like soda, energy drinks, and sweetened coffee beverages are all high in sugar and will quickly rack up your calories. Instead of relying on these kinds of sugary drinks to get through the day, try swapping them out for unsweetened alternatives like herbal tea or water with lemon juice added.
- Grains: Whole grains like wheat and rye are a great source of fiber but also contain a lot of carbs. Try to stick to low-carb options like quinoa, oats, and brown rice instead of grains altogether.
- Dairy products: Dairy products are a great source of calcium but also contain a lot of carbs and sugar. If you can’t go without milk or cheese during the keto diet, try making substitutions like almond milk or heavy cream instead.
- Legumes: Legumes are a great source of protein but also contain a lot of carbs and sugars.
- Fruit: While many people on the keto diet enjoy eating fruit, including bananas, apples, and grapes, it’s important to remember that these items are high in sugar and carbs. If you can’t go without fruit in your diet, try to stick to lower-sugar options like berries instead.
If you have to have something sweet in your diet, make sure it’s low-carb and made with healthy ingredients like nuts or seeds instead of processed sugars. Don’t forget to check with your doctor before starting a keto diet if you have any health conditions or concerns.